water cooler around campus
SDG 7 Policies
Previous Version: ILMA/HR/17-19/ADM/X60
New version: ILMA/HR/19-21/ADM/XX60
Policy Created: March 09, 2019
Policy Reviewed: March 12, 2020
The goal of this policy is to guarantee that the ILMA University runs in a sustainable way by reducing energy usage while also being environmentally conscious. This policy helps the University to fulfil its obligations and goals in terms of energy consumption. This policy provides a framework for the ILMA University to develop energy management solutions.
Scope of Policy
This policy covers all the aspects of energy consumption within the campus(s).
· Encourage departments to procure energy-efficient appliances and equipment.
· Assess existing systems, activities and processes to reduce energy consumption.
· Use energy efficient equipment into all new construction and large renovation projects.
· ILMA University follow energy conservation guidelines and policies provided by Sindh Energy Department, National Energy Efficiency & Conservation Authority (NEECA) in new renovations and buildings
· Include energy efficiency and conservation topic into the coursework of undergraduate and postgraduate.
· Develop an energy use monitoring program to record real energy consumption for specific departments, campuses and buildings.
· Identify high-energy-use regions within the University so that suitable objectives, targets, and action plans may be developed to decrease energy waste.
· Support renewable energy and energy efficiency research initiatives or startups, which are sound and practical.
· Encourage educational and outreach efforts related to energy efficiency and innovation.
· Conduct off-campus and on-campus workshops, seminars and conferences to spread the awareness about need for energy conservation at local and regional level.
· Encourage collaborative initiatives with government agencies, community organisations, and businesses.
· In order to ensure that this policy is implemented successfully, the University will establish benchmarks and measurements of success. Those benchmarks will be assessed and revised every two years.
Energy Efficiency Plan
1st Phase: Solar panels will be installed and one by one all departments’ electricity consumption will be switched to solar based power generation.
2nd Phase: Wind power generation equipment will be installed to meet the electricity requirement of garden area and other outdoor lights of the campus.
Energy efficiency: Refers to the amount of energy used compared to energy input.
Energy Conservation: Efforts made to reduce the consumption of energy by using less of an energy service.
Projects and Events
Ilma University dedicated its effort for the proliferation of awareness about energy efficiency and conservation. Ilma University conducted a workshop in collaboration with Rotary Club in Karachi. The aim of this workshop was to educate the community about the need and outcomes of adopting energy conservation practices and alternate energy solutions. Most of the attendees were from the industrial and SME sectors.
Workshop learning outcomesWorkshop aimed at educating the owners and senior management of the firms about developing energy saving culture in their organization, measures that can be take in new renovations and changes that can be implemented in the existing infrastructure to reduce energy consumption and increase the reliance on alternate energy solutions. Workshop also presented the benefits of these initiatives for the organizations, their impact on the global environment and economy of the country.
One more thing for which RCKS and AFMF
had interest was the water solutions for the
people who were deprived of easy access of
drinking water. The team had installed several
hand pumps in the interior Sindh region where
water access was issue for remote villages.
Further, the team was installing hand pumps, small and big, in the Tharparkar and Umerkot districts of Sind which faced challenges in access to clean drinking water. They have made available 10 pumps in this region till date and continue to install new hand pumps regularly